Nobody's Hero


( STORY )


from: CHAPTER TEN ~ The FALL of CASTLE DREIST

characters: KIAN, VALKE, KORVUS, SOFONISBA (pov)



Following their harrowing flight from the destruction of Castle Dreist, the victorious heroes emerge from a subterranean cavern many miles away, and must track back across the Wenden Highlands and through  the Nimmerende Mountains on their return journey into Auspenheim. 

After days of overland winter travel, the adventurers are cold, hungry, and exhausted. From their small camp on a high ridgeline, the towers of Auspenstadt beckoned distantly in the dusky light... but as dusk turned to night, Sofonisba Orlogio's unease in the strange circumstances grew stronger... 

NOBODY'S HERO



“Don’t think about it.” Kian suggested.

Sofonisba’s attention snapped away from the dark maw just feet away from their bedrolls. Beyond the meager light of their campfire, excruciatingly scraped together from dried roots and low-lying brush along the trail, it was impossible to see the vertiginous fall to the valley below. She felt as though they were perched on a knife’s edge. “It’s not the height I fear, but I prefer to see things for what they are.” she murmured to nobody in particular, “Knowing it’s there, but not exactly where the brink is, or how far down it goes... or what’s below… “ She trailed off, and tried instead to focus her attention on the withering flames of their fire. “It’s unsettling.” “I know. Trust me, I know. But there’s nothing you can do about it, so just try to shut it out.” Kian offered in a sympathetic if somewhat pensive tone. The ridgeline was much harder to navigate than they had anticipated. What should have been a shortcut to Auspenstadt was fast becoming a taxing delay on an already exhausted party. After leaving the simpering Castor and his broken-down tunnel-machine far underground, they had emerged from a rocky fissure into the dim early-morning light, and spent a full day trudging across the snow-swept Wenden Highlands. The molten remains of Castle Dreist had been little more than a hot smudge on the mountain horizon miles away, but when they finally entered the high passes of the Nimmerendes again, they realized how much further they still had yet to travel. Sofonisba had made no complaint. She was not just some cloistered scholar, but a practitioner of the sword who followed a regimen of physical drills each day. Even so, as the trek wore on, her carefully-managed limp had grown more and more pronounced, and she could not protest when Kuan had sheepishly offered to carry her part of the way. Once on the mountain paths, her careful steps and keen balance made it easier, but as the light faded and fatigue set in, she felt herself growing more anxious. The chance to rest the night was welcome, but the ridge had been too narrow to allow the party to camp together in one spot. Some 300 feet further up the ridgeline was an area just large enough for the other, more robust members of their party to lay down, but on this small shoulder where Sofonisba, Valke, and Kian rested, there was scarcely room for three. The overwhelming sense of exposure on this precipice preyed upon her, as if at any moment the world might tilt and cast her tumbling into the abyss. The darkness made it even worse. On such a moonless night, the firelight cast everything beyond into obscurity, and even the comforting canopy of familiar stars was hidden from her. There was a dry crunch of snow against frozen stone on the periphery, and Sofonisba whirled her head around to stare into the blackness. Valke chuckled slightly. “It’s just Korvuus.” Kian said, nonplussed. A moment later, Sofonisba could make out the magician’s sharp features. He came bearing no torch, seemingly unbothered by the darkness or the precarious path. Sofonisba mused how Korvuus could be so uncannily at ease in such a harsh wilderness, while simultaneously seeming so utterly out-of-place. But then, for such a conjuror and shape-shifter, what could be normal? She had seen magic demonstrated in the Verezzan academies, and even seen some battle-craft used in the sieges during the war, but nothing quite like this strange man’s mercurial powers. He perched on a nearby rock, unable to squeeze any closer to the fire. He gave one of his inscrutable looks of mild surprise and concern. “Ah, sorry. I hope I didn’t interrupt you? I just wanted to know if anyone needed anything?” “Firewood?” Valke suggested. “Ah. I don’t have any. I guess I could give you a portion of the kindling we found, but then I’m not sure what the others will think of that. I guess I could tell them I gave it away, and if they get angry they’ll only be upset with me, but…” He seemed lost in consideration of this predicament, and Sofonisba found it impossible to discern whether he was in earnest, or merely being playful. “We’re good, Korvuus. Get some rest. If we get too cold, we have this to warm us.” Kian tapped the bag containing the Heart of Empusa, which would still be radiating a searing heat were it not quenched by a magic faerie stone. Korvuus gave Kian a grave look. “I’m sorry about Vanderbilt.” “Not now, Korvuus.” Kian warned, but Korvuus continued. “I know that... well, I think you may have sort of adopted him. And I was thinking we should probably go to Nockendorff, and tell them what he did for…” “I mean it. I don’t want to talk about that child-maiming prat. He’s dead, the other Nockers will be happy he’s dead. And even if they aren't, I don’t care what those little war-machine-building cunts think.” There was a long awkward pause. Korvuus seemed about to answer Kian, but instead looked down at the smoldering remains of the fire, and then into the inky night. “Wood.” he said quietly. “We’ll need some more.” He turned a shoulder away from them, and all but disappeared back into the darkness. They heard a soft rustling on the wind, and then nothing. “Hm. He went with the giant owl this time.” supplied Valke matter-of-factly, as if people turning into enormous birds was an everyday occurrence. Not much seemed to surprise her, but after the events of the past days, Sofonisba was beginning to see why. “He’s… interesting.” Sofonisba said after a moment. “How long have you known him?” Valke shrugged and looked to Kian, whose eyes had not left the ground after his harsh words. He answered, but this time his voice seemed weary and distant. “Met him on the road in Arnolfia last summer. Kuan, too. The three of us got dragged into something… foul. Less said about that, the better. As for knowing him… still not really sure that I do.” Sofonisba wanted to ask more, but hesitated. Kian seemed angry, or hurt, or both. It was hard to tell. Valke just smirked, either defying the tense mood, or completely oblivious to it. She took a long drink from her wineskin, then wiped a stray red droplet from her cheek. Sofonisba felt as if an oppressive weight was hanging over the group that she didn’t quite understand. The talk of Vanderbilt’s death was only part of it. They’d had no time to truly process the events of the past two days: the vast wonder and horrors of Castle Dreist, their desperate battle against Bronzanti and his creations, and then the havoc leading up to the final destruction of the giant war-engine Typhoeus. Even now, their escape had brought them but little reprieve. They were cold and tired, and literally only a foot away from death on a high mountain ridge. And yet, she still sensed there was something else, as if some greater peril loomed over them. A bitter knot of dread formed in the back of her mind, and she resolved to speak it aloud. “Tell me,” she said, clearing her throat, “what is the Cult of the Black Sun? I need to know.” Kian was silent. Valke exhaled slowly. Sofonisba felt inexplicably fearful, but she pressed on. “When we were in Castle Dreist, you were particularly intent on some kind of mirror you thought was in the Black Tower. You mentioned the cult then, and when you found the model for those bat-like creatures, and then again when we went through Bronzanti’s notes and journals. Who is this cult? Were they helping Bronzanti? When we return to Auspenstadt, will we tell the Prince the threat is over? Or is there still a danger you’re not speaking of?” Valke looked from Sofonisba to Kian, giving him a knowing glance. Kian nodded to her grudgingly. “The Black Sun is an old prophecy from the Faded Era.” Valke began, then paused uncertainly. “The cult believes... well... Korvuus says they’re trying to bring about the end of the world.” “So it’s not over.” Sofonisba whispered. Her mind was racing. Kian gave Valke an annoyed look. “We know Bronzanti was helping the cult, but they weren’t exactly working together. Honestly, Korvuus understands all this better than me. He’s convinced that the cult is trying to bring about some kind of apocalypse, but it’s a different apocalypse than the one Bronzanti was setting his mechanical mind to. So you can tell the Prince that this thing in the mountains is over.” “For now.” Valke added ominously. Sofonisba looked back and forth between them. “I don’t understand. Bronzanti was building an army. He planned to conquer the Empire, and raise himself up to godhood. He was motivated by revenge and paranoia and megalomania. But… why would he lend his hand to a doomsday cult?” “Listen lady, I don’t have all the answers. This is Korvuus' thing, and I’m sure he'd be happy to share his theories with you... if anyone can make any sense out of his ramblings!” Kian snapped exasperatedly. There was an uncomfortable silence after that outburst. Valke shook her head while Kian stared into the fire. Sofonisba was momentarily taken aback, but her brow furrowed and her face turned introspective. A moment passed before Kian looked up. Valke’s arms were crossed, and she shot him a stern look of disapproval. He saw Sofonisba’s huddled form and expression of consternation, and seemed ashamed.

“I’m sorry.” Kian offered gently. “It’s been a hard few days for all of us. You fought at our side in Castle Dreist when you didn’t have to, and I appreciate what you've done. I’ll answer any questions I can, but to be honest, I don’t know that much about all of this, except the cult seems to be widespread and they’re clearly engaged in some very cunt-like behaviour.” “Of course, I had to fight!" There was a sharpness in her voice. I came with you on this expedition to learn about what was happening on Mount Donnerquell. We all saw what Bronzanti was doing up there -- what he was capable of. We all did what had to be done." Kian let out a soft breath, and nodded and quiet agreement. But what I still don’t understand," Sofonisba continued. ...is why you sought out Bronzanti to begin with? And why are you helping Korvuus track down this cult if this is his fight?”

“I didn’t say that it was his fight, I said it was his thing. It’s our fight.” “Speak for yourself, I’m just here for the exercise.” Valke interjected dryly. “And these boys desperately need a babysitter…” Kian continued without sparing her a glance. “I’m helping Korvuus... and he’s helping me. He’s got a peculiar knack for knowing when something isn’t right, and I’ve got a stupid need to set right things that are wrong, so it happens that we make a good team.” “So… you travel about, righting wrongs? You’re heroes, then.” Sofonisba concluded. Valke snorted. Kian shot her a scathing look which she pretended not to see.

“No, that ain’t it. Korvuus is... well, I’m not really exactly sure what his malfunction is. Jack is here because he likes a good fight -- not necessarily fighting for good -- just a good fight. And Kuan, well, he has his own story. He helps us, and when his enemies come looking for trouble, we return the favour .”

Sofonisba looked perplexed by all of this, but tried to draw the threads together. “So you went looking for Bronzanti because he was helping the cult, and Korvuus wants to stop this cult. Now Bronzanti is dead, and they’ll have to carry on whatever they were doing without him... which is good, I guess. Jack is just there to fight. And Kuan needs your help with his enemies. And Valke…” “I’m just trying stave off the boredom of a peaceful life. Don’t want my spear-arm to get rusty.” Sofonisba paused to look Valke over. She could certainly fight; of that there was no doubt. She’d met other women in the soldiering profession before, all just as full of swagger as any man, but even in the company of shape-changers and flying monks, there was something odd about this flippant girl with mismatched eyes. Then she pointed a gloved hand to Kian. “And so, you’re here because…?” She trailed off. “Because the world’s full of cunts that need to die.” Kian said impassively and then laid down on his bedroll and closed his eyes. Everyone fell silent. The small fire crackled. In the darkness of the valley below, animals and the wind both howled in their respective ways. Regrettably, Sofonisba realized the conversation had done nothing to settle her nerves. She took her head in her hands. They were still perched precariously on a razor’s edge in a void of darkness, but now the maddening scope and implications of Bronzanti’s plans were combined with a mysterious new threat - the Cult of the Black Sun. After a time, Kian began to snore softly. Sofonisba glared at him, and gave Valke an incredulous look. “He’s a psychopath. You both are. It’s like none of it scares you.” The other woman shook her head. “Nah. I'm just used to this kind of thing. May not look it, but I've been around. With Kian, it ain’t that. It’s like you said before: knowing these things are out there is bad enough, but not being able to see it all is worse. Kian’s scared... hell, he’s terrified because he's just some dumb Lundishman from the sticks, and he can’t get his head around the things we’ve seen. But it doesn’t stop him -- in fact, it’s probably the only thing keeps him going.” Sofonisba frowned, and pulled her fur cloak up around her neck. “It’s strange...” she reflected. I've always tried so hard to be absolutely confident and in control, all the time. Now, after everything that's happened... I'm struggling. But I suppose I feel a bit less alone to know all of this scares him too. But he keeps moving onward.”

Valke nodded. “It's why he does all of this. Fear and guilt shut most people down, but he needs it to push himself forward. He’s not a hero like in the stories, he’s more like a… “ She hesitated. “A martyr?” Sofonisba supplied. Valke gave a toothy sardonic smile in the flickering light. “I was gonna say masochist, but yeah, sure... an arrogant, pig-headed, brooding, irascible martyr. He’s decided he’s going to be afraid enough for everyone else, so you don’t have to be.” Sofonisba looked back to Kian’s sleeping form. His tricorne was clutched to his chest, rising and falling evenly with each breath. Valke stirred the fire. “You get some rest, kid. I’ll keep watch and make sure none of you roll off the mountain in your sleep.” “Just don’t think about it...” Sofonisba repeated Kian’s words and closed her eyes. It helped some, but she still didn’t sleep.

* * *