(STORY)
from: CHAPTER FIVE ~ LADROA OVERTURE characters: Belasca De Cinza, Kian
When a mysterious note is found in the pockets of the Vaara swordsman known as Agila (specifying only a time, a place, and the name of Lady Belasca De Cinza), it is suspected that an assassination plot is afoot, and that the young noblewoman’s life may be in danger. Having already struck up a secret correspondence with the Grey Stripes’ youthful new mistress, Kian decides to warn her of this potential threat, and also to put forth a scheme to flush out the would-be killers while protecting the lady from harm…
Lady De Cinza’s reply:
Your mercy, Senor Kian Grey,
I am most distressed to have read your last tidings. I feel this way not only because it suggests that my life is in danger (this much, I have already accepted), but because it means that my secret movements have been revealed, and that this could mean betrayal among those I counted upon as allies.
Los Mendigos have a bond with the Grey Stripes, and a debt owed that goes back to the fall of the Sultanate in Ladroa. I cannot believe that they would betray the trust of the Stripes. Likewise, for those men of the Stripes who remained loyal to my second father, Capitan Jorge Ballenero. The idea of one of these men now plotting against me casts my heart into roiling doubt.
For these reasons, my mind reaches for other explanations. For what other purpose could this swordsman Agila possess such a note? Other than what you have told me, what more do we know about him?
With all due respect, let me assure you Senor Kian that I am not some frivolous girl who spins like a weathervane over a whisper. Your plan to replace me at the meeting with your messenger Jenyeva is ingenious, but I fear I cannot believe in you so readily. You ask me to separate myself from my entourage, and place myself in the care of Senor di Magappi instead? Even with my reliable guardians by my side, this proposes far too many unknowns.
Since leaving Ladroa the first time, I have learned that leaving your fate in the hands of others is a risk that no lady should allow herself to take. As well, I cannot send a decoy to this meeting in the Bosque - such a deceptive act would show contempt and distrust for those from whom I ask faith. Let it never be said I had not the bravery to face these dangers like a true De Cinza. The daughter of Don Rafael De Cinza cannot hide from her responsibilities. I must restore the honour to our name by setting an example.
Just so, I see merit in your decoy plan. Should brave Jenyeva agree to this, she can travel in my place along the route that was known by Agila in the company of the Grey Stripes men, in the hope that any assassins will be drawn out and reveal themselves.
However, I will not show a false face to Los Mendigos. I will arrive at this meeting at the appointed time, but I will see that another route is taken, known only to myself and my closest bodyguards. As you have rightly suggested (and I'm sure you will agree) the fewer people who know of my true location, the safer it will be.
As before, Senor Grey, both your benevolence and your discretion are deeply appreciated.
(* The rest of the letter details the logistics for a disguised Jenyeva to meet with an entourage of Grey Stripes at a dock on La Grieta and then proceed to the meeting in the Bosque. )
~Lady Belasca De Cinza del Casa Cinzento
* * *